Thursday 20 September 2012

10 Different Factual Programmes

Factual Programmes I watch!
Underneath shows the different types of factual programmes that I watch. I will explain why I watch all the 10 different programmes through the style of presentation, what makes it interesting and how it engages me as a viewer. I will also briefly go through the content of information shown throughout the programme.

1) The first factual programme I watch is the Documentary series of ‘UK Broader Force’; this is shown mostly on Sky1 HD and is about the action that happens behind the scenes when people have illegal stuff. It focuses on the work of the UK Border Agency. It reveals immigration, snuggling and other offenses. The link I have shared is part one of a series of UK Border Force and shows you a Glasgow team that are about to raid an illegal immigrant’s house. This series shows you how the UK Border Force deals with illegal immigrants and how they react.

This programme appeals to me because I find it very interesting to see the lengths of which an immigrant will go to stay in the country. I also find it highly interesting to know what is going on in the UK that is unknown to some people and the voice over helps me understand why these things happen and how the UK Border Force try to decrease the likes of this happening. The presentation of the programme is very appealing as it shows the viewer how everything is done; you see it as if you are there it is not a re-enactment. It really helps you get a picture of the tough life of some of the UK Border Force people and also give you background knowledge that you may not of known, this another reason why I like watching this programs because it also gives me information about the illegal things that are going on.
2) The next Factual Programme I was is 'Ross Kemp On Gangs'. This programme is a documentary series programme and is where Ross Kemp a former EastEnders actor goes to different countries and area's to get an insight of different gangs and what goes on behind closed doors that some viewers would never know about. The documentary programme is shown on Sky1 along with many other documentary series, this programme won a Bafta Award for best Documentary Series. In the series Ross Kemp travels to different places and talks to gang members and local people have been affected by gang violence. 
The video I have chosen to share is the series where Ross Kemp went to London because this series appealed more to me as it was my home town and I wanted to know what went on in my home town that I may not of known about. This series is very appealing because it shows those who don't understand the life of gang members and what goes on behind closed doors. I also like this programme because the over presentational style is not necessarily to look good for examples there's times where Ross Kemp is talking into the camera but it feels like he is talking to you, so almost like the camera is handheld by one of how friends but then there are also aspects where the cuts go with the mode of the scene for example the way Ross Kemp is speaking. The series is also engaging because not only is it appealing to watch through the presentational style but it also educates you about the different gangs and especially in this series Ross Kemp looks at Gang Violence, Prostitution, Armed Robbery and so on. The series also shows you interviews with previous gang members and this is even more so interesting because it allows you to understand what these people went through and why they did/do the stuff they do.


3) The third factual programme that I have watched was a documentary on the Pop group Girls Aloud and was called 'Passion Of Girls Aloud'. This was a one off programme which had a five part series to it as each member of the group went on to achieve their life long passion and the one that most appealed to me was Cheryl Cole's Passion which was for Street Dance. The programme was screened on ITV2 around 2010 and was about Cheryl Cole and wanting to be a street Dancer. Through the series you see Cheryl Cole's lead up training to her audition to star in Will.I.Am's music video. It not only shows you the training process but also Cheryl's response to all the information been given through short interview styes throughout the programme. The documentary programme also helps to give the viewers more of an understanding in Street Dance and where it came from etc. So the programme is also factual. 
The video I have shared is the series of Cheryl Cole's passion and i have chosen this one because it appeals to me more through the love I have for street dance. This programme appealed to me because it helped me understand more about street dance and it also gave me an insight to how Street Dance is portrayed over in L.A which is very inspirational to watch from a dancers point of view. Not only is the programme entertaining through the way Cheryl struggles but it also educates you about Street Dance and the different styles their are within it for example Popping, Locking and the bass Hot-stepping which were all spoken about in this programme which helps to show viewers that Street Dance isn't as simple as many believe it is.  I also find the presentational style very appealing because it shows you as everything is happening it is not scripted at all and you get to see Cheryl's reaction a lot. I also like the way there are small interviews with Cheryl.

4) Another Factual programme that I have watch is one of many documentaries on the 9/11, the one I am going to be talking about is the most appealing to me because it's mind blowing how people survived and really grabs my attention. The programme is called '9/11: The Miracle Survivor. This documentary is about the 9/11 and goes into more detail than ever what really happened that day. It also speaks to those men who survived the 9/11 and what it was like for them that day. The 9/11 documentary was a one off programme that was shown on channel 4 in 2012. This episode is mainly about the surviver Pasquale Buzzelli and how fortunate he is to still be alive after being in the 9/11 and stuck at the 22nd floor.
The video I have shared is the most recent episode of the 9/11 and this is most appealing to me because knowing what happened at the 9/11 I wanted to know more about it from people who where actualy inside the building, I find this episode very interesting because the episode not only shows you real coverage but it also shows you interviews with the people who survived which moves on to the presentational style, the whole style concept is really captivating as it shows you that real footage which was filmed by local residents and it speaks to those who where trapped and I find it very interesting to see how the work member did survive and they tell the viewers how it was for the. The episode not only shows you all of that but also shows you the reactions of those who where in the neigbour hood. It also speaks to the firefighters who saved people's lives. Overall the most interesting thing about this documentary is speaking to Pasquale who survived from falling from the 22nd floor and speaks about his life now and how he treasures it. 

5) The next Factual Programme I watched is shown on channel 4 in episodes and is called '24 Hours in A&E' this documentary is to show viewers the work load of nurses and doctors and what is happening in the day to day life we live. The programme contains 91 on going camera's that films every part of the action that happens in a day. The programme offers the unprecedented access to one of the Britain's busiest A&E departments being the King's College Hospital. The programme allows you to see what amazing achievements nurse and doctors do and how they over come the biggest of problems they serve.
The video I have chosen to show is a small clip from one of the 24hours in A&E episodes and is about an old lady called Rose who has had a small stroke in the right side of her brain and this programme allows you to see what doctors have to go through and help cure. I like watching this type of programme because it doesn't have major edits or cut aways its just mainly about what is happening and looking at it as if you are in the room with the doctors. I also really like how their are small clips of the nurses and doctors speaking away from the hospital almost like it's a summary of what happened that day cause it really gives you an insight of their lives. Although this type of programme is mainly to show the different ways nurses and doctors deal with situations it also teaches you about general stuff they know for example what different types of surgeries are called and how they perform them. 


6) A different factual programme that I also watch quite often is the programme aired on channel 4 swell and is called 'Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' this documentary programme and is about the big weddings that gypsies pull off. It shows you the extravagant and sup rising world of gypsies and travellers in Britain today. The programme also helps to cut of those bias opinions that people have of gypsies in our world today. The documentary shows and explains the life of gypsies and their  traditions and their main and biggest tradition being their weddings. Many gypsies have big weddings to enclose their love for their partners but it of those gypsies who compete to have the biggest dress and biggest cake.

The video I have embedded is a short clip of many different episodes put together. This shows you just some different aspects that are seen across the different episodes. I find this documentary very interesting because it helps you understand what it is like to be a gypsy and what they go through, for example the sterotypes from other people. The programme allows you to see that gypsies/travellers are just like other people and don't deserve to be treated differently. The programme gives you information you would never know unless you knew a gypsy/traveller for example Paddie tells you the life of gypsies and how they have to hold their status which is why Paddie gets into a lot of fights throughout the series. I also find the way the programme is set up because it shows you have everything as if the camera's are always rolling like how you see it in 'BigBrother' but this programme is not a game show or scripted.
7) The next Factual Programme I have previously watched is the documentary of Gok Wan called 'Gok Wan: Made In China' and this documentary is where the camera's follow Gok Wan as he travels to China. He travels to China to find out the background of the making of certain clothing items like jeans, bras and other things like bed sheets, mobile phones and other things. Gok Wan organises to meet the people who make all of these things. Gok Wan goes to china as it the main country that makes and producers alot of our products seen in our lives today. The programme is to show viewers the unseen world of China's mass production, and shows Gok Wan meeting with people within the business.
I've chosen to speak about this documentary that I have watched because it is appealing to me as I love the world of fashion and this programme allows me to find out the background information n how things are made and not only clothes but other things we have as well.


8) The next Factual Programme I have seen previously and is a new series is about the comedian/actor Russel Brand is called 'Russel Brand:From Addiction' and is about how Russell Brand was once addicted to drugs and how he came away from it. It was revealed that ten years ago Russell Brand was addicted to heroin and was told he many only have six months to live. It is now that Russell Brand has made a documentary about himself and how he gave up on taking drugs at the heart of thos eye-opening and searingly honest programme about Russel Brand. Russel also challeneged our socoety who deals with the addiction of drugs. Throughout the programme you see Russell Brand meet a range of different people to understand the depth of what drugs do to you through speaking to scientists and those who are involved in taking drugs and those recovery from treatments.
This programme is very appealing to me because as Russel Brand is a well known comedian/actor it makes me want to know what made him start taking drugs and just to learn more about the affects drugs have on your body. It is also very interesting to see how Russel Brand tackles some critics.
9) The next documentary that I watch is shown on CBBC and is called 'School For Stars' and is shown in different series. This programme is about the life of young people who go into the world of dance,singing an acting. The programme shows camera's following the dancers/singers/actors in their time at the school. You see the real footage of how audition processes go and also an insight to how hard and dedicated you hvae to be to be apart of such a high working dance school.
I choose to show this as an example because it is very appealing to me as I am a dancer and I find it interesting that you see how everything is instead of shows like Britains Got Talent it only shows you the bits they want you to see which defeats the object.

10) The last factual programme I watch is 'Passport Patrol' and this programme is shown on Sky1 Living and is about New Zealand's customs officers as they try to defend the country's borders from threats including drug runners, smugglers and immigration.

I watch this programme as I find it very interesting to see how the boarder force work to keep these laws in place and it gives me an insight to what is also happening in the world that I may not know about only from watching this programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment