Tuesday 18 December 2012

Analysing The Competition

Using BARB (Broadcasting Audience Research Board) I will be closly looking at the factual programmes that are currently on and would be in competition with my programme that I am currently making.

My first programme I will look at which looks closely at being similar to my documentary as it has the same target audience range. This programme is also aired on BBC1 and my programme would be aired on BBC3 which shows their would be a lot of competition as they are both based upon dance they would most likely be aired at the same time. So the programme I am talking about is 'Strictly Come Dancing'. 
Strictly Come Dancing is a factual programme as it looks at the reality of celebrities going on to a dance competition based show to win the disco ball. This programme is also aired at 6.30 on a saturday but changes throughout the week but not drastically. We also acknowledge that this show is shown on two days being saturday and sunday

Looking at some resources I can say that strictly come dancing's figure rate rate from this saturdays show just gone they had over 10.4 million viewers which is more viewers than the X factor show which is very popular. This shows that this show will be a huge competition in regards to my factual programme.
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/11/11/strictly-come-dancing-x-factor-viewing-figures_n_2113296.html

Comparison
This particular show has a very close similarity to my documentary as it is about dance and conveys actually dancing. In my documentary I will look at having a main host; particularly me as I wanted to do the 'Participatory' style and this factual programme uses presenters. It also looks at dancing from a competition based way which is what I would be doing as I am for dancing being in the Olympics so this ties in a lot because this programme could also feature in my documentary as I could look closely at how the judges judge the different dance styles and linking it back to the comparison on dancing and gymnastics. The only difference our programmes share is that Strictly Come Dancing is a competition based programme and mine is a Dance based programme and looking at how dance can be judge in the Olympics.

The format of the show can also be seen to be very similar as they interview the celebs training to win the competition which is where I would be interviewing those dancing who would consider to compete in the Olympics. It also has experts opinions i.e the judging panel which could link to my expert opinions through the format of an interview. So overall these two programmes are similar.

I believe my show would beat this show in terms of viewing figures as I would try and get everyone to watch it for example Strictly Come Dancing is a simple danced based show which makes the audience its views go up purely because of the celebrities, whereas my documentary will portray dance elements and a lot of Olympic opinions and facts which would reach out to a bigger target audience as many people would like to compete or even not to compete, many people watched the Olympics. I would also try and get interviews with very well known people to get more views, for example if I spoke to someone like Tweddle the female gymnast I'm sure a lot of people would tune in as they would like to know her response to the topic. I would also give the title of my programme a rhetorical question 'Should dance be Considered in the Olympics' which opens up the views because the rhetorical question gets viewers involved and thinking. 

Looking at the facts and figures of how much this factual programme is watched I would believe that my show would best be aired on a friday night as it leads up to big competition shows like Strictly Come Dancing and So You Think You Can Dance which would make the viewers more interested. Also this day would mostly be better as it would not clash with such a high watched programme. I'd look to air it around 6 as this time would be the best time for young people to watch it especially if they consider going partying and they would'y leave their house till later.
_________________________
My second factual programme that I will be looking at is the document styled programme; 'Olympics 2012; 5o Greatest Moment' which was aired on BBC 3. This programme is a factual programmed style liek a documentary as it looks at a real life event. The programme was first aired on the 17th December and is still available to watch until the 29th December. So this programme is broadcasted on BBC and is shown around the time of 8.30 but varies each week.  I could not find any information that showed the stats of how many views the programme recieved from its first viewing however I have come across the viewing figures of one of the Olympic events being the 10,000 metre final race with Mo Farah in it and teh stats for that one event was 17.1 million views which shows that this show would also be very popular as it would highlight all those greatest thing and the final race being one of those. Underneath shows the link to the source where I found this information. 

Comparison
Looking at this show incomparison to the documentary I'm making it contains alot of features that are the same . This show is particuly outlining what happened at the Olympics 2012 and my documentary will do the same, however would look more so at just the three Olympics events that I will be comparing dance too i.e Gymnastics, Syncronized swimming and figure skating which would not of been seen in the London Olympics as the London Olympics were the Summer Olympics. So both documentaries may contain some of the same footage being from the London Olympics.

The format is simular in certain ways but of course has a completetly different storyline. The 'Olympics 2012; 50 Greatest Moments' show all the highlights of the show and is there to go through alll the not seen footage and the stats whereas my show would look at how the olympics is put together in terms of sports that are getting put into the Olympics.

Content, the content will be simular as its both the same topic being the Olympics just looking at it from different views. I assume that the olympic show does not contain interviews and interesting shots as it is just a coutndown. So my work compared to this document would be different as I will cover footage that I've filmed rather than all archie footage from the Olympics 2012 and I will also look at how the Olympics has developed so looking at where esle the Olympics has been held.
The main simularity is that my programme brief is to be aired on BBC three and at 8, which may clash with this programme making the competition harder.
I beleive my shwo would beat this showe in terms of viewing firgures as I would show all teh different Olympic Venues and have more of a story behind my document rather than just looking at the highlights. My documentary may also get more viewers as I would look at trying to get interviews with famous people or people who would interest the sporting viewers i.e Beth Tweddle.
Underneath shows the video clip of the documentary 'London 2012; 50 Greatest Moments'.
_________________________
My last programme that I am looking at that would may be in competition with my programme is simular to Strictly Come dancing as it is an entertainment show and is callled 'Got To Dance'. Got To Dance is a dance based competition which looks at all different kinds of dance groups/troups/solo's and so on and is judge through panel. The panel on this year's Got To Dance is Aston(JLS), Ashley Banjo (Diversity) and Kimberely Wyaty (Pussycat Dolls) and has many interests as it shows all different types of dance styles. This show is broadcasted on Sky1 is usually aired on weekends (Sat&Sun). The show is usually on after 6 but this varies as different programmes come on different weeks and because of the football. I chose to look at this show as it is broadcasted on a different channel to the other two and brings different elements. The viewing figures are seen to be at 1.13 million, these viewing figures are the figures from the first week of Got To Dance and as the series have gone on the more viewers there currently are.
http://allstreetdance.co.uk/2011/02/28/got-to-dance-2011-episode-viewing-figures-week-by-week/
Comparison
The simalarities between this show and my documentary that I would be making is that they are both looking at dance and more so that people I would be interviewing would of been dancers that have come from this programme. Also I want to go in debth about street dance and its different styles that are branched out from this main style which is also something Got To Dance tries to captivate this.
The other comparison is that Got To Dance uses a presenter which is what I would like to do for my documentary and also its a based programme on judging dance acts which links into my argument about dance is able to be judge and Got to Dance is an example of this. So within my documentary I could use this show as an example.
The layout also includes interviews with experts (the judges) and also interviews with the contenstants which relates to my programme as I would like to interview dancers that would like to compete in the Olympics if dance was an event in the Olympics and also would like to interview experts so this relates closely.
 
I believe this show gets alot of views through the highly talented dancers and the idols of Aston Merrygold and Ashley Banjo so fir my programme to beat the views I would have to get really good dancers that the audience would actually want to know more about them and see them dance, I would also need to get interviews with well-esatblished people. As the audience will not wnat to watch an interview when they dont know who the interviewee is.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment